Saturday, November 3, 2012

Resting in the Trinity

Today is Sabbath's day. I am resting in the Trinity. I have had a crazy week after returning from KL. After the Faculty consultation on Monday, I taught my last class on NT 1, finishing with the Acts of the Apostles on Thursday. I spoke about the Holy Spirit in Acts, never an easy topic in a class setting. I spoke about the baptism of the Holy Spirit, especially the five occasions where the Holy Spirit was said to come upon individuals or groups of believers from Acts 2, 8, 9, 10 and 19. Then on Friday, I had a chance meeting with a MTh candidate who was holding a book on the Trinity - Retrieving Nicaea: The Development and Meaning of Trinitarian Doctrine by Khaled Anatolios (Baker Academic, 2011). This must be one book that I truly look forward to reading since I listed my favourite theological book as The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God: The Arian Controversy, 318-381 (RPC Hanson, 1988). Why do I read historical theology, especially history on the trinitarian doctrine? The simple answer is I rest in the Trinity as I meditate and reflect on God, Father, Son and the Holy Spirit - One God in Three Persons. No doubt the historical controversy of the 4th century is also a controversy of biblical interpretation; how best to understand the texts about God in the OT and God in the NT, especially in God's revelation of Himself as Father, Son and the Holy Spirit in the New Testament. As I read, I know God; as I meditate I am caught up in the divine; as I look up and rejoice, the blessed holy Trinity excites my soul because even as Jesus, the Son says, "My Father and I will make our home in you" and "I will send my Spirit and He will abide in you and will never leave you." The Triune God making his home in us, in me as a living soul whose every breath comes from the Giver of life for only in Him is life and peace and all good things come from Him who alone is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment