Sunday, March 31, 2013

"If you believe, you will see the glory of God" (John 11)

It wasn't one of my better sermons. But I thank the Lord for his mercy, so unworthy a servant I could preach on Resurrection Sunday. Getting to the church was another milestone, a record of sorts. For the first time, my travel time exceeded one and a half hours. To be exact, I took 100 minutes to reach the church after taking bus 67 then MRT from Kallang to Tanah Merah and another bus, no. 24 to the destination. I was huffing and puffing and rested for 5 minutes until I was taken to the sanctuary on the 4th floor.

For the first time, I thought I should take the lift but the church administrator was keen to walk up the stairs and I went along not wanting to offend her. That was plenty of exercise before I took my seat on the front row. Thankfully my weary body was straightway refreshed by the worship - there was tambourines dances by the Filipino church group and the song leader was on song today and the choir was fantastic. At 12 noon I ascended to the pulpit and delivered my 25-minute sermon without once looking at my notes. I had plenty of time to prepare. Good Friday and Holy Saturday and this morning I woke up at 6am (probably by 5am I was thinking about the sermon while I slept as a Malay proverb goes tidur-tidur kucing).

Knowing that the time was limited I read parts of chapter John 11 and made essentially 3 points. The second point was the most powerful - "If you believe, you will see the glory of the Lord." I challenged the congregation to experience the presence of the Lord and His glory here and now. Resurrection life is not after-life. Eternal life does not begin when we die but begins at the moment we believe in Jesus. I shared how I experienced God's glory, briefly my conversion, often times I experienced God's help in sitting exams, in my career and in God making a way for me to enter full-time ministry. The service ended with another couple of worship songs. But I was exhausted when I got back home. And I slept for 90 minutes until 5pm. I got up thanking God, praising Him for his great mercy as He has enabled His unworthy servant to preach His glorious Word on Resurrection Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment