Saturday, September 28, 2013

Deuteronomy as Jesus' Favourite Book?

For the past month, I have been scouring the book-lists of many publishers looking to buy a commentary on the book of Deuteronomy. I almost bought the one authored by Jeffrey Tigay but at the end I settled on Daniel Block's NIV application commentary on Deuteronomy. Perhaps I would have preferred a more academic and critical commentary but as my budget is tight (I bought Danker's Shorter Greek lexicon and Chamberlain's Septuagint lexicon as well), I had to choose one and I hope I shan't be disappointed.

I have been reading a lot on the book of Deuteronomy of late since I lectured on Jesus' affirmation of the Shema from Mark's Gospel. I am not sure whether I agree with Prof Block that Deuteronomy was Jesus' favourite OT book, as I have a feeling that it was the Psalms of David, but Deuteronomy and Isaiah would come a close second and third for Jesus of Nazareth. On Thursday I emphasized that Jesus' knowledge of Scriptures did not drop from heaven or that he was divine for Luke makes it clear twice that the Son of God, the Messiah and Lord had to grow in wisdom and stature like any Jewish boy who loved God's Torah (Luke 2:40, 52).

No comments:

Post a Comment