Thursday, June 19, 2014

Astride the Causeway

I had this surreal experience being caught astride the causeway between Johor Bahru (Malaysia) and Singapore recently. It was 10:30 at night when the traffic was supposed to be less heavy. But we were caught in a jam because a bus broke down and that closed down one lane heading towards Singapore. For 30 minutes I was literally standing in the bus astride the causeway at the boundary of Malaysia-Singapore separated by the narrow Johor Straits. Perhaps at that moment, my feet were planted on both Malaysia and Singapore land/waters. I looked back - it was the southern Malaysian State, Johor and when I looked ahead - it was Singapore.
Where I will be in a fortnight's time will determine how I serve these two countries. Now that I am based in Singapore for the past 6 years, my ministry has been centred on Singaporean churches. Even the Church Camp I spoke at last week on Malaysian soil was for the benefit of a Singaporean church. It has been customary for Singaporean churches to hold their church camps in Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malacca and Kuala Lumpur being favourite places for Church Camps and Retreats. If I were to be based in Malaysia, my ministry focus could change dramatically - it may mean 95% ministry in Malaysia (both East and West) and 5% elsewhere. To be uprooted from a city like Singapore is difficult but I have been on the move all my life and I have prepared for this eventuality (if it does come about) for a long time. But it is not my will, but Yours be done, O Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment