Friday, September 19, 2014

I was born to be Pastor

I took a break from writing and it is now past 40,000 word mark. I watched China Insight on CCTV and I saw the jams in Beijing subways. I am glad that Singapore's MRTs are not so crowded. In the programme, a train driver spoke about his pride of achieving a safety record equivalent to the distance of 22 trips around the world. He shared how once he slowed down the train by instinct as he was turning a corner and then he saw a girl in the middle of the track. Because he had slowed down, he could stop in time. He remarked, "I was born to be a train driver." What were you born for?
I think I was born to be a pastor of a church, a leader of men. Last night I had the joy of attending a home group meeting at the City's Mayor's house. He has been a close friend for many years and when everyone left at 10.30pm I thought I should leave as well but his wife insisted that we stayed for a while more and we chatted until 11.15pm. It was sweet fellowship. Only an elder, another close friend was present and we chatted about church leadership in general. I knew I would be a pastor because I loved the church and loved to be around peoples from all walks of life, The Mayor had 1,800 people working under his leadership and he knew something about leadership. He is a gentleman and soft-spoken but he said he could get tough when needed. We agreed that it was important to address problems before they got worse. It is better to nip it in the bud before things fester and become worse. That is the key to pastoral leadership as well. A pastor should be gentle at all times but this does not mean he needs not to be firm or tough when called for. The elder said the church needed one like Moses who held the staff of God. It was an apt metaphor for a shepherd and Moses was shepherd of God's flock for 40 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment