Friday, September 12, 2014

Time for a New Book

There is a time for everything under heaven. When asked when I was going to write my new book, I have often quoted Jesus' words to his brothers, "My time is not yet." Three days ago my good friend asked me again to consider writing a book. I was provoked to action but previous attempts have been discarded after 2 or 3 pages. I have 4 or 5 files of failed attempts in trying to write my second book.
It will be autobiographical of sorts and since my time with SIB takes two thirds of my ministry thus far, this book will contain a kind of modern history of my denomination seen through the prism of my time as a full-time worker there from 1994 to 2008 and as a church member from 1989 until today. It would also include my 6 years in Singapore and I will lay out a vision of theological education for the region based on my experience as a theological educator.

I would not be so excited unless in the past 3 days I had already reached 10,000 words and finished 2 chapters. It will probably have 7 to 10 chapters in all, about 10 pages per chapter. I will try to limit the book to under 100 pages. I will only propose a title and perhaps get my readers to chip in after reaching 50 pages or half the book. But things are looking up and words are flowing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment