Monday, October 13, 2014

The Last Sermon

I preached for 65 minutes, the longest sermon in 7 years. The text given to me was 1 Kings 17-19. Elijah and Jezebel and their conflict. I also spoke about the prophetic ministry in the New Testament from 1 Cor 12, 14 and Eph 2,20; 3,5; 4,7-16. The songs were mostly new to me but the song leader was one I worked with during my time as pastor. He is a wonderful song leader. I felt strong in the Lord as I had prepared for 10 days. Early Sunday at 4am I was already up. The Word was not easily contained as I spoke even as the oracles of God. I went on so long because I could see the church was ready for it. One visitor told me she understood little of what I said because it was in Malay. How did I learn to speak Malay? Well I told her I was Malay educated and proud to speak the national language well. I asked her whether she found the worship meaningful. She said Malay was a romantic language and the worship was touching. I couldn't agree more.
How we needed prophets in our midst. The church was built upon the foundation of apostles and prophets. I spoke about prophets and prophecy being tested. The one test is whether prophecy measured up to apostolic teaching 1 Cor 14,37. It could be my last sermon in my homechurch. My presence in their midst has caused some unease. It is better that I go away for the sake of peace. I pray my denomination's leaders will post me far from Kota Kinabalu for a prophet is not without honour except in his household, among his relatives and hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment