Saturday, October 4, 2014

Yom Kippur & Fasting

The only time fasting was enjoined on the Israelites is on the Day of Atonement. So it was fitting for my homechurch to hold a prayer and fasting day today. We broke fast at 4.30pm after we prayed from 9am. I was praying at home until noon before joining my church members. At the end, about 15 men and 7 women took part. The moment we finished prayers, there was a sudden downpour but it lasted a few minutes. We were just reading 1 Kings 17 where Elijah said that there would be no rain except at his word.
We took the downpours as a sign that the Lord had answered our prayers including praying for a senior pastor of the church. I actually wanted to go at 8am but thought I should delay so as to give space to my leaders to share and pray freely. But it turned out to be one of the most satisfying prayer meetings. I hardly fasted in Singapore in the past 6 years and it is good to come back to an environment that prayers and fasting are still treasured even as we seek the face of he Lord so that the Spirit might speak clearly to the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment