Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Marking the Psalms


I use two Bibles for regular scripture reading and morning devotions, RSV and KJV. Both Bibles are heavily marked, especially the Psalms. Whenever I feel the Lord speaking to me, I will put a date next to the Scripture. Today I marked several verses, "The Lord will fulfil His purpose for me." It is at times such as these that the word of the Lord rings true despite outward circumstances. I wonder whether that was how Moses felt, 40 years in the wilderness wondering whether God had a purpose for him more than his sheep keeping for his father-in-law. I realized most of my sermons are probably more suited to a mega-city dwellers rather than rural Ranau. Last Sunday, I spoke about Prof. Amy Chua who wrote a book called, "Tiger Mum" concerning her methods of raising a daughter but I didn't think it connected with the audience. I talked about capable women in politics and sports like one of my sporting icons, teenager Lydia Ko, only 18 who is women's golf no. 1 player and again none of the teenage girls were interested in golf when I asked for a show of hands, though we boast of a number of excellent golf courses in Ranau and Kundasang.
Last week, I marked the final verse of Psalm 40, "I am poor and needy, yet the Lord thinketh upon me." (Psa 40:17). I even had a tune on this psalm. Again I marked it because for the first time in 7 years, that verse spoke to me again but the Lord thinks upon me and I shall not be in want. I also marked a verse which says, "We will sing of the ways of the Lord" and by chance I had my guitar out this morning (I had not played for a whole month) and I sang to the Lord and of His ways. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall not want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment