Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Long Road Ahead

Despite the insistence in the New Testament that Jesus could come anytime at his second coming and hence the urgency and immediacy of ministry, yet the reality of it is a long road ahead. I have been in full-time ministry for nearly 21 years and if health holds, I think I may have another 21 years ahead of me before I meet my Maker or call it quits. As aging affects everyone perhaps in different ways, but very few have been able to do it in their late 70s. I know of a friend who is going on strong in his early 80s but this is an exception to the rule. Knowing my own body and its frailties I shall be pleased if the Lord should grant me another 15 years of active ministry. That's makes it 36 years in the Lord's work something I could not have imagined myself doing when I received the call to ministry as an 18 year old. At that time my thoughts of ministry were short term, explosive and going out in a blaze of glory.
All the idealism of youth is tempered by the experience of middle age and may the Lord grant us a heart of wisdom as we go from middle age to old age. With just a few more days before my Jubilee is over I think the Lord has a plan for me though I do not know it yet. In the meantime, I am spending my days, weeks and months caring for ewes and tending the lambs just as Jesus said if you love me feed my flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment