Monday, December 5, 2016

New Zealand PM Resigns

I texted my son, "John Key has resigned. Absolute shock". It was about 10am Malaysian time when I saw the news. It hits me like a ton of bricks. I never expected one of the most popular NZ prime ministers to resign so abruptly. There is every likelihood that the National party Key leads will win the next General Election next year. But as I reflected on Key's speech this afternoon barring surprises I began to understand why some good politicians choose to resign while they are on top. John Key has been PM for 8 years and for NZ standard that is a long time and only a few PMs had served a full three terms and more. I understand the burden of office and how it could be crushing at times. I had experienced it myself. I chose not to stand again after a short one term of 3 years as Treasurer. I thought I had enough and could quote Key that "I had nothing left in the tank." After travelling for just one month (5th Nov to 4th Dec) I am ready to throw in the towel and wonder why I had accepted 5 more invitations until Christmas. I wonder why some people hold to positions or office for way too long.
The American system is the best thats why USA the most powerful nation on the earth, a limit of two 4-year terms for the President, a total of 8 years just like Key had done as PM. Everyone needs fresh blood and change is good most time. After Keys announcement I felt the Lord used that to teach me. I have my plans going forward set out more clearly. Only 2 days ago I told a good friend that I might not be at the College for too long. I give myself some time, if things don't work out I am not hanging around, the grass could be greener elsewhere and while I am still healthy I might try some thing and go some where entirely different from what I am accustomed to do. Life is indeed short and we will pursue our dreams by the grace of God for hope deferred makes the heart sick but desire fulfilled is a tree of life (Prov 13,12)

No comments:

Post a Comment